Local Crisis Line: (907) 276-7273 Statewide Crisis Line: (800) 478-8999 Business Line: (907) 276-7279
1057 W. Fireweed Lane, Suite 230 Anchorage, AK 99503 email@example.com TAX ID: 92-0071466
Celebrating 40 Years of Service to Alaskans by Providing Options, Support and Information to Survivors of Sexual Violence.
• Board of Directors - STAR is currently accepting applications for the board of directors. Board members are the fiduciaries who steer the organization towards a sustainable future by adopting sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies, as well as by making sure STAR has adequate resources to advance its mission. For more information, please contact Executive Director Keeley Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (907) 276-7279.
“I wanted to sign up to be a crisis line responder for STAR because I feel like there is an incredible need in any community really in the whole world to address the need of sexual assault and domestic violence,...What I didn’t know before I signed up to volunteer at STAR is that Alaska has the highest rate of sexual assault in the entire country, and so that just really drove home this idea I had that I wanted to help.”
Quote from 2018 Crisis Line Training Participant &
Current Volunteer Responder
• Office Assistance – Office volunteers are always welcome to assist the STAR Staff in data entry, stuffing envelopes, and other miscellaneous office tasks. Volunteer once per week or once in a while. We are open Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To assist STAR by volunteering at awareness activities, fundraisers, educational booths, and in the office, please download and fill out the Volunteer Application Form. Completed forms can be faxed to STAR at (907) 278-9983 or via e-mail to email@example.com.
• Educational Booths – In order to spread the word about services, STAR participates in a variety of events with educational booths. These events include Sportsman’s Show, the Women’s Show, Pride Fest, amongst many others! Volunteers assist in setting up booths, handing out brochures, and answering questions about STAR’s services.
• Awareness Activities - STAR hosts a variety of awareness building events throughout the year, especially during the month of April which is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). Event Volunteers assist the Events Coordinator and SAAM Planning Committee in planning events to bring attention to the problem of sexual assault and support for STAR.
• Fundraisers – Fundraisers allow STAR to fund educational and direct services that might not receive grant funding. STAR hosts fundraisers throughout the year including The Vagina Monologues in February, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes in April and the Masquerade Ball in October. Volunteers can assist in planning these events, soliciting donations from local businesses, or assist the Events Coordinator the day of the fundraiser.
• Crisis Line Coverage – The Crisis Line is the heart of our organization's services and often serves as the first point of contact for sexual assault survivors. Staff members answer the line during business hours and volunteers answer the line from the comfort of their home during the evening, weekend, and holiday hours. A 40 hour training and commitment to answering the line at least three shifts a month is required of all volunteers. Click here for more information about upcoming trainings and to fill out an application.
Committee Members Assist with Event Details and Securing Silent Auction Items for the Annual Masquerade Ball
Volunteers are needed for STAR's Annual Masquerade Ball on the day of the event
Active Crisis Line Volunteers
Hours Volunteers Cover on the Crisis Line Each Month
STAR would not be able to provide services and support survivors without the dedication of its volunteers. Citizens throughout Anchorage volunteer their time to support the mission and clients of STAR in numerous ways on a day to day basis. Here is a list of ways you can give back to your community by volunteering with STAR:
Volunteer at STAR
"Volunteers are not paid not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless.” - Unknown