Local Crisis Line: (907) 276-7273 Statewide Crisis Line: (800) 478-8999 Business Line: (907) 276-7279
1057 W. Fireweed Lane, Suite 230 Anchorage, AK 99503 firstname.lastname@example.org TAX ID: 92-0071466
Celebrating 40 Years of Service to Alaskans by Providing Options, Support and Information to Survivors of Sexual Violence.
Job Title: Direct Services Advocate
Reports to: Direct Services Manager
STAR staff and volunteers, SART nurses, A.P.D. staff and AK CARES staff, District Attorney staff
Provide crisis intervention, advocacy and support for all victims and their families of sexual violence through one-on-one personal support sessions, crisis line coverage, medical and court accompaniment and group facilitation.
- 1 year of social service work experience and Bachelors Degree in related field or,
- 2-3 years social service work experience with 1 year of work experience being primarily crisis intervention related and Associate Degree, or
- 3-5 years social service work experience with 3 years of work experience being primarily crisis intervention related
- 2 years of support group facilitation experience
- 2 years of educational group facilitation experience
- 2 years experience providing individual support to victims of sexual assault, sexual abuse, sexual harassment or domestic violence
- 2 years experience providing educational presentations to adults and children on the dynamics of sexual violence
- 2 years experience providing medical accompaniment to victims of sexual assault and/or sexual abuse
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of sexual assault, child sexual abuse and victim services as well as skills in crisis intervention and group dynamics is preferred.
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks.
- Must be proficient in computer use.
- Must be organized and detail oriented.
- Must be able to work with team-based decision making processes, and have the ability to identify and problem solve.
- Must possess the ability to work with culturally diverse clients, staff and volunteers.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to respond to hospitals and advocacy centers within 45 minutes of dispatch.
- Must be able to work independently and be self-directed.
- Must have a valid Alaska driver’s license and insured vehicle.
- Attend a 40-hour crisis line training within 6 months of hire.
- Rotating on-call and back-up coverage (including holidays) is required.
Level of Responsibility:
Maintains contacts of a confidential nature throughout the agency and outside the agency.
May be required to use independent judgment in interpreting agency rules and policies.
Job Responsibilities & Duties:
- Utilize knowledge of sexual trauma to assist victims in individual sessions, support groups, and crisis response scenarios.
- Conduct lethality assessment, safety checks, and safety planning.
- Report suspected abuse of children and vulnerable adults.
- Assess the needs and provide support to secondary victims.
- Assess the needs of clients and make appropriate community referrals.
- Provide victims with legal advocacy for appropriate civil and criminal matters.
- Fulfill training orientation as required by the Counsel on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault.
- Assist in carrying out the goals and objectives of STAR and assist in maintaining liaison relationships with the Anchorage support community.
- Attend agency meetings and consultations as scheduled and required
- Maintain accurate records and submit reports in a timely manner.
- Represent STAR in a professional and courteous manner.
- Stay current on issues relating to sexual assault and issues affecting sexual assault victims.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Hours: 40 hours a week. Flexible to meet the needs of the agency.
To apply for any of these positions at STAR, please email your cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com.
STAR regularly has interns in Direct Services, Prevention and Education, and Events and Marketing. If you are interested in becoming a STAR intern, please submit your cover letter (expressing which department you would like to intern in) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be reviewed and a member of the STAR staff will follow up with you.
Are you interested in making a positive difference in your community and people’s lives? Do you want to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment with a supportive team of professionals? Then consider coming to work for Standing Together Against Rape (STAR).
STAR offers a bright, dynamic and progressive work environment for the right individual. Benefits after ninety days include medical, vision and dental.
STAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Employment at STAR
Interested in becoming a member of the STAR team? See openings below!